Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day 20 of Thanksgiving


Today I am thankful for my health, and that I have improved my health with running. Yes, I've been sick, but nothing too major, and that is such a blessing. This year I have started running. I've run before, and I've done a couple 5K races. But I honestly thought it wasn't in me to run more than 3.1 miles. In January I started training for my first half marathon that was several months later. Running got in my blood, and I love it - for the most part. I did my first half marathon, the Hurricane Half Marathon in April. Then I ran the Wasatch Back Ragnar race in June. A few weeks later I ran another half marathon, The Farmington Half Marathon, in Utah. Last month I ran a 10K, and today I ran my third half marathon, The Valley of Fire Half Marathon.
Today I am actually most thankful for the fact that I finished the race today. Today's race was by far the hardest race I've ever done, and in fact, it was one of the most challenging physical things I've ever done.
We met up at my house at 5:15 this morning, after not sleeping well and having odd dreams of Beverly Hills 90210?? and racing all mixed together, and Sydney didn't sleep well either which didn't help. So I was up at 4:45 to get all ready.
Here we are getting ready to head out to Valley of Fire.

We got there and had a bit of time to get our shirts, stretch, and have many strangers come by and read our shirts and ask us about our "team."


On the front of our shirts it said, "I run because....." Then on the back we wrote our motivation. Mine said, "Ice cream tastes TOO GOOD!"


It was beautiful out there, but man, it was cold!! The wind made it even worse.
Here we are getting all ready for the race, getting bundled up in layers that we could remove if we got too hot once we started running.


And here is the nine of us ready to go!

Then we started. I felt great for about the first mile. There was a big hill but as we were going up it I told Marlo, "I guess I'd rather have a hill at the beginning to get it over with and I have more energy. And since this is a "there and back" race that means we get to go downhill at the very end." HA, why on earth did I think that would be the only hill. This race was SO hard!! There were SO many hills. I'd heard the course was very hilly, but I thought that meant rolling hills. nope these were steep, never ending hills. Up and down and up and down again. Constantly. You'd think the downhill part would be a nice break from the uphill, and a place to gain some speed, but the wind was so strong - especially on the way back - that even though it was slightly easier, it was still taking all I had to fight against the wind. I knew it wouldn't be a personal best time, but I still had a goal to run the whole thing. In my mind I was running hard, but to any onlooker I'm sure I looked like I was just walking up those hills and pumping my arms really hard. There was also a good 1 -2 mile stretch that was on loose gravel and sand. That was hard because I had to really stablize my foot so I wouldn't fall or twist my ankle. That didn't help either.
So, yes I am complaining a lot. But I am still so glad I did it, and I'm very proud of my performance, even if my time was not that great. I know I gave it my all and didn't give up.


Here I am at the finish line!!! I was so happy to see those orange cones. I am also so thankful once again for those "running buddies" that were there running with me, motivating me. It was the first half marathon for several of them, and I'm SO proud of everyone!!

1 comment:

The Swapp Fam said...

You are awesome!! I like your thoughts on the first mile. You did it though. So glad to know you and have you to run with. Looking forward to the next one, so we can do BETTER!