I guess I should have learned when my dad told me over and over again when I was growing up, that your day starts the night before. I stayed up WAY too late reading a good book, and finally dragged myself to bed when I realized morning was coming too soon.
My morning started by moaning and groaning "WHY" when both kids came into the room and got in bed at 6:20AM! This is unfortunately too close to the time they usually wake up anyway, but I keep having hope that it's just a phase they're going through, eventually they'll like to sleep in, like me. Even though this phase has lasted 3 1/2 years for Hayden and almost 2 years for Rebecca I still have hope because every once in a while they will sleep in and those are wonderful mornings.
Going on with the list of my day, so far.
Turn on the tv and hope they follow Jerry as he starts getting ready for work. Hooray! They do.
Catch a little bit more sleep while he gets ready.
Wake up as he leaves and the kids come to jump on the bed.
Wake up again as I hear Hayden yelling for me to come downstairs, he wants to play Lego StarWars, but doesn't want to be downstairs alone.
Change the channel so I don't have to listen to that annoying, "Johnny and the Sprites." on Disney Channel.
See my humongous mess of a room that has been the "catch all" for the last two weeks. Promise myself again that I will clean it today.
Go downstairs, see that we are out of milk.
See that the two eggs we have left expired two weeks ago.
Hayden wants a PBJ for breakfast - see my previous post about breakfasts. - But we used the last of the peanut butter yesterday.
Ugh, I have to go shopping, but that's the last thing I want to do right now.
Yogurt and water for breakfast it is.
Change Rebecca's diaper.
Go outside and water my budding grass! (It's coming in!)
Tell Hayden his time is up for Star Wars. Listen to a three year old yell and give me the evil eye. Turn off the tv and game.
Go upstairs to work on my horrible room.
Find Rebecca sitting on the nightstand next to my bed, soaking wet after trying to drink from the cup of water that was left on the nightstand the previous night.
Start stripping the bed to clean the sheets, but as Hayden (who has quickly forgiven me for turning off the game, and just walked in the room with his huge Star Wars ship) and Rebecca see this they think it would be fun to jump on those sheets as I'm trying to take them off.
Finally get the sheets in the laundry and start sorting the rest of the clothes for laundry.
Remind Hayden that we don't have any peanut butter when he asks for a PBJ again.
Start folding the laundry that is clean and has been sitting for a couple days.
Yank the previously folded laundry out of Rebecca's hands and tell her it isn't funny, and she can't take my folded laundry. (Yes, my room is a real mess right now.)
Tell Hayden again that we don't have any peanut butter and that we'll go to the store when I get my laundry going.
Repeat the last sentence three more times.
Get the kids dressed.
Go downstairs to get Hayden a hot dog when he realized that we had hot dogs and when I realized he must be extremely hungry since he fell asleep at 6:00 last night and didn't want to wake up to eat, he slept through the night.
Make his hot dog and start cleaning up the kitchen a bit. Give him his hot dog with ranch dressing. (He thinks ranch goes on everything.)
Listen to him whine when I get a fork from the drawer because he wanted to get the fork.
Put the fork back in the drawer and let him take it out.
Watch him as he turns around and the hot dog rolls off his plate and the plate falls on the floor leaving ranch dressing all over the floor and his toes.
Listen to him whine and cry again.
Wash his toes.
Clean the floor.
Wipe off his hot dog and give it to him. (Shh, don't tell, 10 second rule.)
Next the door bell rings and it's the pest control guy.
Start writing him a check as he's spraying.
Tell Hayden to come inside because he's spraying bug poison outside.
Hear Rebecca playing in the bathroom upstairs.
Tell Hayden to go check on Rebecca.
Hear Hayden say, "Oh No, Becca daddys going to give you a spanking on your bum."
Give Bug guy his check and try not to let him see that I'm not loving today.
As soon as the door closes I run upstairs to see Rebecca unloading everything from under the bathroom sink and begging to open the first aid kit.
Finally, with no makeup, and looking ugh, load the kids in the double stroller to go on a walk to the grocery store. (When I only need to get a couple things it's so much easier than loading the car, driving 1/2 block, unloading them, Put them in a cart....you get the picture.) Anyway.
Make our way to the store.
Smile at how the weather is starting to cool down a bit.
I'm starting to get a little happier because the kids seem to be happy for the moment.
Start shopping, and the whole "kids seem to be happy for the moment" is done.
Rebecca starts screaming and reaching for everything, and tries to climb out of her stroller.
Hayden keeps reminding me that we need peanut butter and he now wants cookies.
When Rebecca can't escape she starts kicking the back of Hayden's chair, which makes him scream and cry.
I decide to only get 1/2 of the things on my list to just get out of there.
Check out, as Rebecca is screaming and crying the whole time.
Chuckle and tell the cashier "we're ALL having a bad day?" When she politely asks Rebecca, "Are you having a bad day?" (I didn't snap at her, I'm not that mean.)
Give Rebecca and Hayden some crackers that we just bought for the ride home.
Got home and fed the kids and decided to prolong cleaning a bit longer just to vent and write this post.
As you can imagine I've had to stop several times, but things are looking up. The kids are happier because they actually have food in their system. It's amazing what that can do. Not all days are like this, but so far this has been one of those days. Please tell me I'm not the only one. Now it is time to keep my promise to myself and get my room cleaned!
1 week ago



6 comments:
you're not the only one -- promise. taking care of kids is a full-time job. no, it's an "over-time" job. try throwing cleaning, cooking, driving and everything else into the mix??? STILL trying to get the hang of it.... let's just say that dinners around here get pretty interesting...... (WAFFLES AGAIN????!!!!!)
So funny and so true! It's days like those that make me wonder why I ever wanted to be a stay-at-home mom.
Amen, sister! Sometimes I wonder how people like your mom and Nicole's mom did it with all those kids, I can hardly handle two! I have day's like that far too often myself. Us mom's are amazing and I hope all you dad's out there know it!!
Oh my gosh - I totally feel you! On many of the things that happened to you today - I just nodded in understanding. The sheets - Jayden loves to do that.
Well - hopefully now that you've vented, you feel a little better. Just know that this life of being a mommy to toddlers will pass eventually... once you are done having kids, of course... :)
What book did you read last night?
SOME day you will love looking back on this day. You will probably get a little tear in your eye because your house will be spotless, and no one will be unfolding your laundry or spilling ranch on your floor. Someday...wait..maybe that will be kinda nice! :D
You made me laugh so hard, maybe that's because I'm starting to have more and more of those days lately, you have to laugh so you don't cry right!Are we sure we want more? Of course because kids and days like these makes our lives fun and interesting!
Post a Comment