Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Can't...Keep...Up!!!

You know those perfect Relief Society Presidents that always look wonderful, house is always immaculate, kids never fight and are dressed and ready for the day by 8:30. The one who is always caught up on laundry so she's not scrambling at 10:30 at night doing laundry so that there will be clean underwear tomorrow. The one that makes cookies for all the widows in the ward, drops by the inactive members' homes with a loaf of bread, and knows what to do in any given situation?
I am not her!
Believe me, I try, and I want to be that on the ball, but I'm not. Here is the scene that played out in THIS Relief Society President's home this morning....
The door bell rang at 10:45 - really not that early. Hayden opened the door to see our missionaries. When the door opened THEY saw..
Me - dressed in my best mismatched pjs (yes, it was 10:45) doused in spit up and I'm sure smelling wonderful wearing that spit up. Holding Sydney in boy PJs. (So what if she is wearing Hayden's pjs from when he was a baby because I need to do some laundry - she looks darling in anything - they were just probably confused because they know I had a baby girl.)
Hayden
- still wearing his pjs (yes, it was 10:45 AM) that are inside out because he really likes to dress himself and he couldn't see the tag hanging from his booty last night even though we told him. Since he couldn't see it, he didn't think they were inside out.
Rebecca -covered in marker from her coloring this morning, wearing, you guessed it, only her diaper (It could be 3:45 in the afternoon and most likely that's what she'd still be wearing).
The House - with train tracks strewn throughout the front room, puzzles all over, and the game Elefun with all the little butterflies scattered on the floor. Oh, and a diaper that I had just changed wrapped up on the floor waiting to be put in the garbage. (At least that is all they could see from the front door, it's a good thing they didn't go upstairs)

They came by to give me some names of some investigators that I should call (and probably take some homemade loaves of bread to) one of which I had written the name down a couple weeks ago, but it was when I was still in that "new mom fog" and I have no idea where it is now.

Wonderful huh! Not embarrassing in the least. I will get caught up eventually, and even though I know those perfect Relief Society Presidents don't really exist, in my mind that's the one I'm comparing myself to. :) But for now, this is the president and mom I am and as long as I'm trying that's what's important huh.
Now I think I'll go call the missionaries and invite them back to see that all three kids are bathed and looking adorable, HELPING each other - without yelling - to clean the front room. (I love them. They are so adorable). The washing machine is going upstairs, and I'm just about to make some calls! And even though I'm still in my mismatched pjs maybe, just maybe I'll pull out a cookbook and learn how to make bread.
You're right, that may be pushing it.
Baby steps... cookies.

6 comments:

Amy said...

baby steps! .... OREOS!!!! (not homemade)

Sarah you are doing wonderful. don't you think for one minute that the rest of us don't have days like that ... WE ALL DO. (and I might add most of my days are like that. only I get to add crazy bangs to the mix because Hailey likes doing my bangs first thing in the morning. can't tell you how many times I've had to explain that one.)

I am so proud of all that you are juggling -- and doing a wonderful job at.

Davis Family said...

Oh goodness, I am in my pj's until at lest noon and so are the kids!! I don't feel a bit bad about it either so neither should you. As long as we can keep the house standing and the kids feed and in one piece than I think a mothers job is done!! I try to clean but messes follow me, 2 of them to be exact. I can't even imagine adding one more kid to the mix, how did your mother do it??

John and Sara Roylance said...

Um - Sarah... as I was reading this post, I thought about my kids. Jayden, currently is sitting at the table eating lunch. He is wearing his wizard costume from Halloween. Guess what's under it? His PJs.... it's 1:18pm here.
No worries.
The only reason Riya has play clothes on is because her diaper this morning over flowed and we had to change her clothes.
When you make that bread - could you send me some? I'd love some homemade bread. Yummy!! :)

The Roylance Family said...

You are amazing just the way you are. Don't ever change I think you're great! You're a great mom, and your kids ARE adorable. In my opinion, PJ's are considered real clothes. :)

Russ and Marlo said...

Sara I loved your post. It made me realize that pjs are clothes, it doesn't matter what time of day it is. Kids are kids, the bigger the mess the more fun they had! I think that you could be the first relief society president that brings boxes of cereal, it's a meal or a treat depending on what time you eat it. Keep up the awesome job! You are doing great!

Kaitlyn Devin and Grace said...

Can I just say I think this is my favorite post of all time? You always look like the perfect Relief Society President to me, so to know you really are human is awesome! Don't worry about the pj thing, when i get home from work, first thing i do is change into pjs, thats 3 in the afternoon!