Monday, May 19, 2008

Welcome to my world!

So, I'm attempting to join the technically savvy world and start a blog. No guarantees about how fun or exciting it will be, but I'm going to try. I have to give credit to Amy Creer for getting me started on the whole "blog" thing. I absolutely love reading her entries, they are hillarious. Maybe I'm hoping I'll suddenly become just as funny if I start a blog. At least I will try to find the humor in my sometimes monotonous life.
I am looking at this as a way to actually keep up on a journal, since the last time I wrote in mine was a few weeks after Rebecca was born, 18 months ago. I used to be such an avid journal writer and wrote every day through middle school and high school until I went through and reread a bunch of my entries and realized that my life wasn't that exciting to justify writing every day. Hopefully this blog will be a little more exciting than my middle school entries of detailed descriptions of how my "crush" turned his head and looked at me as I passed him in the hall.
I guess there really are no rules to this, so hopefully you may find it at least a little entertaining to see my world through my eyes every once in a while.

So here is one of those peeks into our world. (Jerry is probably going to hate me writing this and sharing all our oddities.) We watched Back to the Future about a month ago, and since then we have decided we want to go on a family vacation back to the 1980's. Call us Uncle Ricco if you want. "Have you ever wanted to just go back in time?" Wouldn't it be fun to go see yourself 20 years ago. I figured the best way to run into my childhood self would be to hang out on Wasatch Drive during night games. However, I'm sure the 10 year old me would notice some strange, umm beautiful 31 year old watching and have a story made up about her being some kidnapper watching us play night games. No, I guess the best way that I'd be able to talk to my 10 year old self would be to work in the gift shop at the hospital. I went there several times a week to buy the penny candy with money I had taken from Mary's bank in her closet. Anyway, on with our "vacation to the 80's" Right after "Back to the Future" we caught an episode of "Diff'rent Strokes" on TV. Jerry and I were hooked. What sweet memories of Willis, Arnold and his black goldfish. So we decided to rent some 80's TV shows from Netflix. (Yes, we know we are corny) I think we are the first people that have ordered "Punky Brewster" season 1, and "Family Ties." So last night we decided to continue our vacation to 1984 and watch some episodes of "Punky Brewster." We could only handle so much though. I believe my vacation ended last night and I decided to return to 2008. (I have to admit, I did wish we could have seen some commercials from the 80's that would have made the vacation that much better.) So I'm happy to be home with my lap top computer, cell phone, and tv/Dvd player that has a remote without a cord that has to connect to the dvd player. The problem is, I don't think my family is ready to come home with me. With Indiana Jones coming out this week, Jerry has been watching the first three movies, so he's still stuck in the 80's, not to mention he found a Neil Diamond station on his radio. All Neil Diamond, all the time. And this morning Hayden was begging to watch "Punky Brewster" What have we done???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
Thanks for putting me on your list!
What a clever girl you are in your writing!!
Really enjoyed your blog.
Love ya,
Carol

HiccupMeL said...

Welcome to the blog world!! I love it! And, I love you and I have ALWAYS thought you were hilarious. I can't wait to get more updates on your life and see cute pics of your kids!!

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
Oh, you make me laugh! I think I just got transported back to the
80's with you. What great memories. I am craving fishies and berry candies right now. I don't know if I could sit through a whole episode of Punky, but I'd love to hear the theme song again. Love the blog, keep them coming whenever you can find the time.
Love,
Rebecca

Amy said...

Thanks for the credit!!! I feel honored ;)

and YEAH -- you have a blog. This will be such a fun way to keep in touch.

I have never thought of renting punky brewster -- but I am thinking that is actually a brilliant idea. I loved that show. I might start with growing pains though... Kirk Cameron... sigh....

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
Ok so my comment may be a little behid everyone elses, but, you are hilarious!!!! I want to know if Mary knew you stole her money!! That's great!!!!

Love,
Shalane